WordPress Multisite is an option that allows you to create an unlimited amount of sites under one WordPress installation. With WordPress Multisite you can have control over a bunch of sites from one place.
It is recommended to use WordPress Multisite option if you qualify for one of the following cases:
- A network of websites or blogs for the company
- A network of websites managed by agency or developer
- A SaaS (software as a service) that requires site network for distribution
To setup WordPress Multisite you will need to follow these steps:
- Install WordPress on your web server. Read a detailed tutorial on how to install WordPress.
- Open a wp-config.php file and allocate very last line:
/* That’s all, stop editing! Happy blogging. */
- Just above this line, add following code:
define( ‘WP_ALLOW_MULTISITE’, true );
- Don’t forget to save your wp-config.php file
- Open WordPress admin panel to install a Multisite network. Go to Tools – Network Setup and select either to use subdomains or directories
- Select a title and e-mail address for your network (or leave them as default)
- Click Install button
- Modify wp-config.php and .htaccess files (WordPress will display the exact lines of code that needs to be adjusted)